In 2016, Taiguusiliuqtiit Awards committee, this year consisting of the whole board, chose to honour Nunavut language professionals through the annual Inuit Uqausinginnik Taiguusiliuqtiit Language Awards . Participants at the Apqutauvugut Conference were asked to nominate Inuktut interpreters, translators and other professionals for their contributions to advancing Inuktut in Nunavut .Taiguusiliuqtiit selected five recipients for this year’s award
- Connie McCrae, for her work over 30 years as an interpreter/translator in Inuinnaqtun.
- Sarah Nangmalik, for her work on a glossary of Inuktut terminology related to human anatomy published by the Government of Nunavut that will benefit all Nunavummiut.
- Annie Ford, for being a strong Inuktut voice for over 30 years on the radio.
- Geela Tigullagaq, a dedicated young interpreter and translator.
- Betty Brewster, who received the most nominations from her peers for a lifetime of work in interpreting and translating.